Organic Law on the Ombudsman Commission (Consolidated to Amendment No 1—Consequential Amendment)
INDEPENDENT STATE OF PAPUA NEW GUINEA.
Organic Law on the Ombudsman Commission,
Being an Organic Law to implement Division VIII.2 (Ombudsman Commission) of the Constitution.
1. Effect of this Law.
- Sections 2 and 19 and Parts V, VI and VIII are intended to take effect, as provided for by Section 12(3)(a) (Organic Laws) of the Constitution as an Act of the Parliament.
- The balance of this Law takes effect as an Organic Law.
2. 2. Definitions.
In this Law—
"the Commission" means the Ombudsman Commission;
"the Committee" means the Ombudsman Appointments Committee established by Section 229 (the Ombudsman Commission) of the Constitution;
"member of the Commission" means the Chief Ombudsman or an Ombudsman;
"the responsible person" means—
- in the case of any State Service, provincial service or other governmental body—the Permanent Head of that service or body; and
- in the case of a natural person—that person; and
- in the case of any statutory body—the statutory head of that body; and
- in the case of any Local-level Government—the President or Chairman of that body.
"statutory body" means any body to which Section 231(1)(a)(iv) (functions of the Commission) of the Constitution refers.
3. Application of this Law.
Except as provided by any other law, this Law does not apply to the powers, functions, duties and responsibilities of the Ombudsman Commission under Division III.2 (leadership code) of the Constitution.
- Next >>